Saturday, April 4, 2015

Magic Moments

4.4.15

"How we spend our days, is, of course, how we spend our lives." ~Annie Dillard


Scene: The nightly dinner struggle, when the 2.5 year old monster love of my life rejects even the idea of supper. Never mind that she ate three plates of spaghetti just the night before. Tonight she doesn't like spaghetti. So, she embarks. Destination: distraction. First up, "Let's play bubbles, Mommy!" Hmm. It is a beautiful day. And I am so, so exhausted from this mealtime game. Bubbles. Yes, bubbles. She really is brilliant, that little Tazmanian Devil sweetheart of mine. So, we leave the spaghetti on the table, grab our bubbles, and head outside into one of the first beautiful days of spring.

Isn't this what life is all about? Taking a moment to have fun, to connect, to engage in something other than another battle of the wills? Just as the bubbles are peaceful, beautiful, and fleeting, so is the moment. Blink, and the bubble is gone. Blink, and the moment is gone. What choice do we have but to embrace even the simplest of our moments? Life is not waiting around the corner. Life is NOW. My moments, like everyone's, will float away. But they can turn into magical memories if I stay tuned to the present and open to the possibilities.

Food for Thought:

The salads were good this week. I was a little worried that I would be sick of salad, and by Thursday, I was. This week, I plan to mix in some low calorie sandwiches. Tuna and chicken salad with chunks of fruits and veggies are on the list.

I feel I have re-set my body and am no longer craving junk food. I've been deliberate about choosing nutrient-rich foods that provide plenty of protein, healthy fats, and whole grains. And, of course it helps that I am getting in more than my recommended daily amounts of fruits and veggies. I've avoided eating even one bite of trigger foods (Snickers minis, I'm lookin' at you!) and may need to do this for awhile.

The Stats:

A word about the first week of my healthy eating plan. I lost 4 lbs in 4 days. That is not reasonable for me, and the weight loss I saw did not stick around. I attribute this to the comprehensive overhaul of my diet, and the fact that I ate chia seeds every day (they are little body scrubbers, you know). So, I am up 1 lb this week, but not feeling down about it AT ALL. Last weekend was my birthday weekend, and though I counted my WW points, I went over by almost 60 for the week. Still a success in my mind, because I did not give up on tracking. So, two weeks in, and I am down 3 lbs. Considering that to meet my goal, I need to average 3 lbs a month, I'll take it. 

3.23.15: 37 lbs to lose
3.29.15: -4
4.4.15: +1 (34 lbs to lose)

Have you tried Yoplait Greek 100 Whips? AH-MA-ZING. Two WW points, and eating them feels almost like eating a decadent dessert. Worth a try.

3 comments:

  1. I struggled this week. Unlike you , I failed to track and gained a pound. I felt I was making good choices but apparently not like I neede to yo maintain. I will track this week. I am trying to lose five pounds before the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first comment, Kelly! You are one of my inspirations for weight loss and living a healthy lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Les! You had an awesome week this past week. I didn't have the best week, but I lost the pound I gained the previous week, so that's something. Today was a trap day with a First Communion party. I skipped the potato salad, but had few bites of cake and ice cream. Tracking away this week!

    ReplyDelete